If there’s any excuse to eat copious amounts of fish sauce dip, I’ll be there. Vermicelli rice noodles are just a vehicle for it. The star ingredient to a good vermicelli bowl is a well marinated meat to go with it – today’s pick is lemongrass marinated pork shoulder. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve tried to execute this dish, and it’s about time that I did it right!
The secret to these delicious oven-baked pork shoulder slices rests in the touch of MSG. Whether powder form, or from a bottle of Knorr! Just one tablespoon, and it took the dish to another level of umami.
Why this recipe works:
- MSG. Because life is better with it, and adds the perfect umami sweet, salty element we need.
- Only 30 minutes marinading time. That’s because the rest of the marinade goes onto the pork to bake, to cook and continue to soak up all of that flavour.
- Baking. This pork is usually grilled, but not everyone has the luxury to access a barbeque any hour of the day – oven baking works just as well. Just make sure to cook it until it still appears shiny & juicy, and broil it for a nice exterior crisp
- Slice into thick cuts to bake, then slice further when ready to eat. This keeps the meat juicier, and provides a good contrast between tender sides & crispy, caramelized sides.
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Marinated Pork Shoulder
- 1.5 lb Pork Shoulder, sliced to 1cm width
- 1 tbsp Knorr Liquid Seasoning
- 2 tbsp Fish Sauce
- ½ tbsp Dark Soy Sauce (Optional)
- 3 tbsp Neutral Cooking Oil
- ½ tbsp Black Pepper
- 3 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 tbsp Lemongrass, minced
- 1 tbsp Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Shallot, minced
Noodle & Topping
- 454g Thin Vermicelli Rice Noodles
- 10 leaves of Green Leaf Lettuce, sliced
- 2 stalks Green Onions, thinly sliced in oil
- 1 Cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Roasted Peanuts, lightly crushed
- 3 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 3 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 1 ½ Cups of Water
- 1 tbsp Lemon
- 1 Thai Chili, sliced (optional)
- Combine all marinade ingredients, and mix in a bowl. Add sliced pork shoulder. Set aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes (but if you have time, marinate overnight or as long as you can).
- Preheat the oven to 375 F, and bake for 10-15 minutes until 80% cooked, flip midway. To caramelize, set the oven to low broil mode and broil until golden, then flip to broil on the opposite side, for 5 minutes total. Rest for 10 minutes, then cut 1cm slices with scissors.
Steps: Noodle Bowl
- Prep ingredients for noodle bowl. Boil package of noodles according to instructions. Wash and cut lettuce, slice cucumbers, crush peanuts.
- Create green onion oil by slicing green onions. Heat up neutral oil and pour over sliced onions.
- Create a noodle bowl by layering lettuce, cucumber, then noodles, and top with peanuts & green onion oil. Pour over fish sauce in increments to taste.
Steps: Fish Sauce
Create sauce by combining sugar with water until combined. Add fish sauce and lemon. Add additional water a few tablespoons at a time to taste. Add sliced Thai chili.