I had my fingers crossed for this recipe. I had ripe sweet mangos, and so badly wanted mango & sticky rice. The one major ingredient that I was missing was the sticky rice! Using a newer ingredient to my pantry, this was subbed for long-grain black rice – and was a sweet & simple success. I highly encourage trying out this easy recipe!
The combination of mango & rice is like no other. The sweet & salty coconut sauce would leave you wanting many more bites, and lucky for you, this is a very easy dessert to make. You could even make it in 30 minutes, if your sesame seeds is already toasted! Just make sure that your mango is in its prime ripe stage for the best bites.
Now, this is in no way authentic to the true dish because I’ve subbed out the most important ingredient. So I’d like to make a shout out to a few of my favourite Thai restaurants in Toronto for this very dish: Imm Thai Kitchen, Mo Thai & Bangkok Garden. Also, a delicious throwback to trying this dish from the true source during a Railway Market tour in Thailand.
Here’s a few notes on the best Sweet Mango Sticky Rice:
- The best rice is made in a rice cooker. But if you only have a pot, then keep a close eye on it!
- This is not traditional. The rice in rice & mango is traditionally a sticky rice. But the nutty flavour of Riceberry rice imparts a unique taste and texture
- Pour the coconut milk mixture over the rice & let it soak for a few minutes. This step is essential as it makes this dish even more flavourful!
- Fresh toasted sesame seeds is a must for the perfect bite!
Easy Black Rice & Mango Dessert
- 1 cup long grain black rice
- 2¼ cups water
Coconut milk sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds toasted (steps below)
- 1 ripe mango sliced
- coconut milk sauce (in recipe)
- Cook rice as per package instructions (see Note 1).1 cup long grain black rice
- To make coconut milk sauce: In a small pot, add coconut milk, sugar and salt. Combine and adjust to taste.1 cup coconut milk, 3 tbsp sugar, ½ tsp salt
- To a dry pan, toast sesame seeds on med-high for 6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Peel mango, and slice. Arrange on plate. Scoop generous spoons of coconut milk. Allow to sit for 2 minutes (to allow the coconut milk to absorb into the rice, see Note 2). Sprinkle with sesame seeds.1 tbsp sesame seeds, 1 ripe mango, coconut milk sauce
- Note 1: The best rice is made in a rice cooker. But if you only have a pot, then keep a close eye on it!
- Note 2: Pour the coconut milk mixture over the rice & let it soak for a few minutes. This step is essential as it makes this dish even more flavourful!