I had my fingers crossed for this recipe. I had ripe sweet mangos, and so badly wanted mango & sticky rice. The one major ingredient that I was missing was the sticky rice! Using a newer ingredient to my pantry, this was subbed for long-grain black rice – and was a sweet & simple success. I highly encourage trying out this easy recipe!
Now, this is in no way authentic to the true dish because I’ve subbed out the most important ingredient. So I’d like to make a shout out to a few of my favourite Thai restaurants in Toronto for this very dish: Imm Thai Kitchen, Mo Thai & Bangkok Garden. Also, a delicious throwback to trying this dish from the true source during a Railway Market tour in Thailand.
Here’s a few notes on the best Sweet Mango Sticky Rice:
- The best rice is made in a rice cooker. But if you only have a pot, then keep a close eye on it!
- This is not traditional. The rice in rice & mango is traditionally a sticky rice. But the nutty flavour of Riceberry rice imparts a unique taste and texture
- Pour the coconut milk mixture over the rice & let it soak for a few minutes. This step is essential as it makes this dish even more flavourful!
- Fresh toasted sesame seeds is a must for the perfect bite!
Recipe: Black Rice & Mango Dessert
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
1 cup Longgrain Black Rice (Rice Berry brand)
2¼ cups Water
1 cup Coconut milk
3 tbsp Sugar
½ tsp Salt
1 tbsp Sesame seeds, toasted
1 ripe Red mango, sliced
- Cook rice as per package instructions until on the softer side.
- In a small pot, add coconut milk, sugar and salt. Combine and adjust to taste.
- To a dry pan, toast sesame seeds on med-high for 6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.
- Peel mango, and slice. Arrange on plate. Scoop generous spoons of coconut milk. Allow to sit for 2 minutes (to allow the coconut milk to absorb into the rice). Sprinkle with sesame seeds.