I stopped having expectations on taste when making dumplings a while go. Often times, it’s not juicy enough or the wrapper is just not right. Recently, I connected the similarities of my favourite Chinese dumpling: bites of juicy shrimp, a soft outer dumpling wrapper and a savoury filling (with beef & shrimp). I’ve finally created a dumpling recipe that I enjoy! And here’s my way on how to make and cook Chinese dumplings.
Use this same seasoning in these potstickers and swap out with vegetarian ingredients (like tofu & cabbage), use all-shrimp (my favourite), combine pork & chive (a Chinese restaurant classic), and swap the protein to make chicken or lamb dumplings! I’m no where near the willingness to make flour dumpling wrappers on my own, and highly encourage the store bought ones (they’re only $1-2)!
Why this recipe works:
- Use lean ground beef or pork. We surprisingly don’t need to go fatty on the filling.
- Whole shrimp, not minced. This is so we get a juicy bite from at least one end of the bite.
- Season with chicken broth powder. Just a little bit adds that perfect umami.
- Flour based wrappers, that are soft to touch. You want a wrapper that is pliable as these will cook the softest. And absolutely stay away from those yellow egg-based wrappers!
- Damp paper towels are your best friend. This is to avoid crusty edges on both the dumpling wrappers before use and over the dumplings once complete!
- In my opinion, dumpling sauce is crucial. My preference is a combination of soy sauce, black vinegar and chili oil at a 2:1:1 ratio.
- Here’s a video tutorial on how I fold the dumpling. But skip the cooking method, as I would recommend the instruction below instead!
Cooking time: 5 minutes per batch
Preparation time: 1 hour
350g Ground Beef
150g Raw Shrimp (size 31/35), cut into 3 pieces
2 tbsp Cilantro, chopped
½ White Onion, finely diced
1 tsp Chicken Broth Powder
1 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
60 Flour Dumpling Wrappers (1 package)
½ tsp Black Vinegar
½ tsp Chilli Oil
1 tsp Light Soy Sauce
- To make mixture: Combine ground beef, shrimp, cilantro, white onion. Season with chicken broth powder and soy sauce. Allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- To make dumplings (here’s a video): Lightly apply water to edge of dumpling wrapper sheet. Add a teaspoon of minced meat, and a piece of shrimp (increase amount of meat once you are comfortable). Fold dumplings with a pleat every 0.5-1cm. Press to seal. Place a damp cloth over the dumpling wrappers and finished dumplings to avoid dry-out.
- To make dumpling sauce: Combine all ingredients and adjust to taste.
- To cook dumplings: Heat oil on med-high heat. Once hot, add dumplings to the center of pan. Allow to sit for 1 minute. Add 2-3 tablespoons of water. Cover with lid, and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. Once water is evaporated, remove dumplings.